Most of us spend a large part of January and the new year making resolutions for change of some kind. We went on detox, cut out chocolate, did Dryanuary (or even Tryanuary), took up exercise, got a gym membership, started that journal, signed up for a skydive for charity (*cough*)â¦ the list is endless! This got me thinking, how many of you picked new healthy habits or resolutions for your footcare? Â
I think itâs a pretty safe guess that the answer is none of you. Donât worry, you wonât be blacklisted for overlooking (arguably) one of the most important parts of your body and you were probably waiting for some guidance from me on what those foot-resolutions might beâ¦
Whilst upping your foot-health game wonât stop you having to visit your local podiatrist, it will help with common foot ailments and prevent some basic foot-issues; so hereâs my list of feet-resolutions:
- Dry your feet thoroughly after a bath / shower. Every single time.
- Use talc – regularly. Baby powder will do the same job, take a small amount and use on the feet before putting on socks, tights, shoes, doing exerciseâ¦
- Change your shoes regularly.
- Get your feet measured (properly) regularly.
- Wear the appropriate footwear for any activity – running? Wear running shoes. Hillwalking? Wear hiking boots.
- Try to avoid footwear that has a thin sole or no heel- your calf muscles will thank you in the long run.
- When cutting toenails, try to keep then as square as possible, cutting “down the sides” can lead to problems when the nail grows up.
- Bathe your feet once a week in warm salty water (or a foot soak of your choice) giving your feet some TLC after a hard week.
- After soaking them, apply some foot moisturiser to nourish and re-hydrate the skin.
- Make an appointment with your local podiatrist!
The list may seem daunting, but if you try to adopt just a few of these resolutions, I promise your feet will thank you for it. Any questions or comments? Get in touch with me or get on #AskAmy Facebook Live the first Wednesday of every month at 7pm.Â #amymacpod